Saturday, August 29, 2009

Boots? Check! Backpacks? Check!

We have our boots! (Okay, technically only my mom has her boots - mine are on order from Amazon.com) We spent a lot of time at The Outpost in Holland, MI this past Thursday (and a lot of money) and are now able to check things off our "To Buy" list. The sales guy who helped us was phenomenal and worked with us to find just the right size/fit of boots, which kind of socks to get (who knew wool socks were the way to go??), assisted us with finding backpacks (with water bladders of course! Ha ha! Water bladders!), and even hooked us up with our five-fingers toe shoes! We didn't end up buying our boots there - I think my mom's were on sale at Gander Mountain, so she bought hers there. And since I needed wide-width, I ended up ordering my boots online since for some reason I had been told these specific boots didn't come in "wide". Hmm...? The toe shoes feel really weird, but I think I'll get used to them quickly. They'll be great for when we go to the waterfalls and have to climb over rocks to swim in the pools. They'll be great for snorkeling too!

Obviously we haven't bought everything we need for our trip yet. We still need to get a waterproof camera, and essential items like bugspray, sunscreen, and other items that I can't think of at the moment but that I'm sure we're going to need to buy!

This morning I noticed my mom creating a spreadsheet of days/activities for our vacation. Yes, we like to plan, and yes, we're really that meticulous and anal about organization! To some people, vacation is getting away from home, laying on a beach, and doing absolutely nothing. For us, we like trying to cram in as many awesome activities as we can into our vacations! Who knows if/when we'll ever get the opportunity to do these things again in our lives?! Since my final fall semester of grad school starts in a couple of days, and I'm going to be busy until my month off for Christmas break, planning is going to have to happen now. Because honestly, the next break I have is Christmas, and then my graduation is in May, and then a week or so later we hop on the plane for Dominica! When you look at it that way, it seems like our vacation is not so very far away!

So far the "we definitely are going to do this" activities are:
- Boiling Lake hike
- Emerald Pool hike
- Visiting the Carib Indian Territory
- Watching sea turtles come ashore and nest at night (hopefully!)
- Repelling/Canyoning down waterfalls

And of course a whole bunch of other things that look amazingly fun and adventurous!

When I have a chance I'll write more about each of these activities and post some pictures and links so that you can check them out for yourself! Oh, and I'll also post some pictures of our recent purchases (boots, backpacks, toe shoes, etc.)!

1 comment:

  1. The water bladder is great. Earl picked up a fanny pack water bladder after the Bellin Run (marathon) here in town. They were giving them away to the entered runners and had a few left over. Since they were giving them out at Lambeau Field, Earl was able to take one home. I have used it a couple of times already. Make sure that you rinse the bladder out before each use othewise your water tastes like rubber. Mine leaked a little at a valve joint when I first got it, but I took it apart and resealed it with Gorilla Glue. The bite valve makes it a pretty good squirt gun when it is really hot out as well!

    ReplyDelete